How does it work?
Each week, we invite a speaker from the labs -- that person may be a grad student, faculty, or research staff.
They are encouraged to present something different from their
most recent paper/talk.
Emphasis is on informality, vision, and inspiration.
In particular, Instigators are invited to consider the following questions
in preparing their presentation:
- Why should I fear your research?
- Why should I rejoice that it's being done?
- What should I tell my mom about it?
- What is your most interesting discovery?
- What is your most recent discovery?
Instigators present for twenty minutes. The rest of the hour is then opened for discussion.
The audience is encouraged to
challenge ideas in the presentation,
make connections to other, disparate fields of research,
and respond with hard questions and new ideas.