A preliminary version of these results was presented in: Jan Van den Bussche, Dirk Van Gucht, Marc Andries, and Marc Gyssens. On the completeness of object-creating query languages (extended abstract). In 33rd Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 372-379, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 24-27 October 1992. IEEE.
Selected papers that cite this one
- Luca Cabibbo. The expressive power of stratified logic programs with value invention. Accepted for publication in Information and Computation. Final manuscript received for publication February 19, 1998.
- M. Gemis, J. Paredaens, P. Peelman, and J. Van den Bussche. Expressiveness and complexity of generic graph machines. Theory of Computing Systems, 31(3):231-249, May/June 1998.
- Serge Abiteboul and Paris C. Kanellakis. Object identity as a query language primitive. In James Clifford and Bruce G. Lindsay and David Maier, editors, Proceedings of the 1989 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pages 159-173, Portland, Oregon, 31 May-2 June 1989. SIGMOD Record 18(2), June 1989.
- Serge Abiteboul and Victor Vianu. Procedural languages for database queries and updates. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 41(2):181-229, October 1990.
- Serge Abiteboul and Victor Vianu. Datalog extensions for database queries and updates. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 43(1):62-124, August 1991.
- Alfred V. Aho and Jeffrey D. Ullman. The universality of data retrieval languages. In Conference Record of the Sixth Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pages 110-120, San Antonio, Texas, January 1979.
- Marc Andries and Jan Paredaens. On instance-completeness for database query languages involving object creation. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 52(2):357-373, April 1996.
- François Bancilhon. On the completeness of query languages for relational data bases. In J. Winkowski, editor, Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science 1978, volume 64 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 112-123, Zakopane, Poland, 4-8 September 1978. Springer-Verlag.
- Jan Van den Bussche and Dirk Van Gucht. Semi-determinism. In Proceedings of the Eleventh ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pages 191-201, San Diego, California, 2-4 June 1992.
- Jan Van den Bussche and Dirk Van Gucht. A semideterministic approach to object creation and nondeterminism in database queries. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 54(1):34-47, February 1997.
- Jan Van den Bussche and Jan Paredaens. The expressive power of complex values in object-based data models. Information and Computation, 120(2):220-236, 1 August 1995.
- Ashok K. Chandra and David Harel. Computable queries for relational data bases. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 21(2):156-178, October 1980.
- E. F. Codd. A relational model of data for large shared data banks. Communications of the ACM, 13(6):377-387, June 1970. Also published in/as: `Readings in Database Systems', M. Stonebraker, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1988, pp. 5-15.
- E. Dahlhaus and J. A. Makowsky. Query languages for hierarchic databases. Information and Computation, 101(1):1-32, November 1992.
- Karl Denninghoff and Victor Vianu. Database method schemas and object creation. In Proceedings of the Twelfth ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pages 265-275, Washington, D.C., 25-28 May 1993.
- Marc Gyssens, Jan Paredaens, Jan Van den Bussche, and Dirk Van Gucht. A graph-oriented object database model. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 6(4):572-586, August 1994.
- Marc Gyssens, Jan Paredaens, and Dirk Van Gucht. A graph-oriented object database model. In Proceedings of the Nith ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pages 417-424, Nashville, Tennessee, 2-4 April 1990.
- Richard Hull and Jianwen Su. Algebraic and calculus query languages for recursively typed complex objects. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 47(1):121-156, August 1993.
- Richard Hull and Chee K. Yap. The format model: A theory of database organization. Journal of the ACM, 31(3):518-537, July 1984.
- Richard Hull and Masatoshi Yoshikawa. ILOG: Declarative creation and manipulation of object identifiers. In Dennis McLeod and Ron Sacks-Davis and Hans-Jörg Schek, editors, 16th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pages 455-468, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 13-16 August 1990. Morgan Kaufmann.
- Michael Kifer and James Wu. A logic for programming with complex objects. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 47(1):77-120, August 1993.
- Gabriel M. Kuper and Moshe Y. Vardi. The logical data model. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 18(3):379--413, September 1993.
- J. Paredaens. On the expressive power of the relational algebra. Information Processing Letters, 7(2):107-111, 1978.